Sunday, May 6, 2012

Quick Sunday Update

I know I'm putting some personal information on this blog but I'm hoping that if someone is experiencing the same thing that some of what they may read here might help them as they assist their loved one in coping with this scourge.
First week with a comfort care lady and it's so so. Mom does not seem to care for some stranger talking to her and she won't let her wash her hair or help her in the shower. And mom is talking to herself again even when someone else is in the room with her.  She had been doing that at the dances she went to but I did not find that out until she stopped going to them. One of the ladies who missed her coming called and told me about it. The doctor doesn't like to keep her on the dementia meds for long periods (other than aracept...which I don't think is working anymore) so things may or may not get dicey again. Guess we'll have to wait and see. TV seems to be a puzzle to her too and she does not read much anymore. Just a few headlines here and there. I put the Lady Horns softball game on today and while she seemed interested at first she dismissed the game and went to sleep. I guess as long as she is talking to herself she is entertained and in a world she can control. I can't imagine what's going on in her once sharp as a tack mind. I've been told by many that watching a loved one with dementia is harder for us to watch than it is for them to experience but I'm not so sure of that information. My mom knows something is wrong with her but she's just not sure what it is.
Tomorrow I have to get an MRI and long ago when I took one I found I was a wee bit claustrophobic towards the end of the test. I hope they drug me up or I might freak out this time. Stupid pinched nerve, it's more trouble than anything I've had in a long while. Bah.

No comments: